Sunday 8 November 2015

Like Romance? Like Christmas stories? Here's a wonderful book you will love -




Today, I'm delighted to have Alison Bruce as a guest blogger.  If you like Romance and Christmas stories, you will LOVE the two stories in Hazardous Unions.  I did.

 Maggie’s First Kiss

By Alison Bruce


When you’re writing a historical romance that is also a sweet romance, the first kiss is often the big romantic payoff.  After all, nice girls don’t go around kissing willy-nilly. Maggie Becker and Captain Seth Stone are in a particularly difficult situation since she works for a southern family and he is a Union officer.  Then there’s the problem that I can’t write romance without a touch of humour. (This may be why I’m still single.)

Maggie’s first kiss happens quite late in the story but, since it doesn’t give much away, I think it’s safe to share. There are even more romantic scenes… at least from my skewed point of view… earlier and later. You’ll have to read Hazardous Unions to see if you agree.

He shook his head impatiently. "You know I love you."

I tilted my chin up and to the side so I could make eye contact.

"No. You said you were smitten with me. You could get over being smitten. My brother has been smitten with and gotten over at least three girls since he was nine years old." I smiled up into those gorgeous green eyes. "If it will help, I'll tell you that I'm quite sure I love you."

It must have helped because the next thing I knew, his arms were around me and I was being lifted and pulled into a close embrace, hoop tilted out behind me like a bell being rung. I probably looked ridiculous. I didn't let that stop me from enjoying the heavenly sensation of being thoroughly kissed.

Twin sisters separated by war, bound by love…


After the death of their father, twin sisters Maggie and Matty Becker are forced to take positions with officers’ families at a nearby fort. When the southern states secede, the twins are separated, and they find themselves on opposite sides of America’s bloodiest war.

In the south, Maggie travels with the Hamiltons to Bellevue, a plantation in west Tennessee. When Major Hamilton is captured, it is up to Maggie to hold things together and deal with the Union cavalry troop that winters at Bellevue. Racism, politics and a matchmaking stepmother test Maggie’s resourcefulness as she fights for Bellevue, a wounded Confederate officer and the affections of the Union commander.

In the north, Matty discovers an incriminating letter in General Worthington’s office, and soon she is on the run. With no one to turn to for help, she drugs the wealthy Colonel Cole Black and marries him, in hopes of getting the letter to his father, the governor of Michigan. But Cole is not happy about being married, and Matty’s life becomes all about survival.

Two unforgettable stories of courage, strength and honor


HAZARDOUS UNIONS IS ON SALE FOR ONLY $.99 FROM NOVEMBER 8-12

Authors:


Alison Bruce has had many careers and writing has always been one of them. Copywriter, editor and graphic designer since 1992, Alison has also been a comic store manager, small press publisher, webmaster and arithmetically challenged bookkeeper. She is the author of mystery, romantic suspense and historical western romance novels. Three of her novels have been finalists for genre awards.

 

Kat Flannery’s love of history shows in the novels she writes. She is an avid reader of historical, suspense, paranormal, and romance. When not researching for her next book, Kat can be found running her three sons to hockey and lacrosse. She’s been published in numerous periodicals. This is Kat’s third book and she is hard at work on her next.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Mel for hosting me! I was about to wax poetic on this theme but my Sea Cadet son has just called for a ride from his Dad's to the armory so I'll have to continue in person next time we talk.

    (big hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Due to technical difficulties - that Kat and I are trying to sort out - HAZARDOUS UNIONS wasn't put on sale on time. Please stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All sorted AND HU is on for ONLY 99 cents today.

      Delete
  3. I read Hazardous Unions when it was first released, and it truly is a lovely story - or should I say, two lovely stories. I hope we hear more about the Becker sisters.

    ReplyDelete