Friday 12 December 2014

Put a Comedy in your Stocking! Anne R. Allen's NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Recommended Reading:

Like my Goddaughter series?  Check out author Anne R. Allen!


One of the pleasures I’ve had this year is discovering a few writers who also specialize in humorous crime.  In No Place Like Home, Anne R. Allen hits my quirky funnybone to a T, with lines like:

Doria figured she’d better get her snooping done fast.
Fast being a relative term when you’re doped up and recovering from a tummy tuck gone bad…

Doria is the most original and hilarious character I’ve read all year.  Okay, in a few years.  Damn, I wish I’d invented her.  And as all writers know, that is damn fine praise from a fellow author.

Here’s the book blurb, to give you a better pix:

The uber-rich editor of Home decorating magazine loses everything, including her Ponzi-schemer husband, when their own luxury home mysteriously goes up in flames. But that's just the beginning of Doria's problems.
.
Homeless, destitute, presumed dead and branded a criminal the once proud Doria has a crash course in how the other half live.
.
Meanwhile reluctant sleuth Camilla Randall is facing homeless and destitution too, as Doria's husband's schemes unravel and take down innocent bystanders along the way.
.
When the mysterious Mr X. turns up at Camilla's bookstore expressing concern for the local homeless Camilla is smitten. By now one might think once smitten, twice shy, but for Camilla the search for love is a constant triumph of hope over experience.
.
As ever Anne. R. Allen weaves a unique blend of crazy characters [Mistress Nightshade, anybody?], crazy situations [would you believe a Colombian drugs cartel?] and laugh-out-loud one-liners that all somehow comes together and makes perfect sense at the end.
.
Oh, and did we mention the Wizard of Oz?
.
No Place Like Home is the fourth of the Camilla Randall Mysteries, but can be read as a stand-alone novel.

Want to start at the beginning?  Here is the boxed set of the first three:

Definitely check out Anne Allen’s popular blog on writing, at
http://annerallen.blogspot.ca/

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a hoot! Camilla sounds like a detective I'd enjoy meeting... er reading... whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Alison.Anne's books sound like my kind of humour, and I'll be checking them out toute de suite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment disappeared - might come out twice - anyhow, I love crazy characters and I love crazy plots, so can't wait to pick this up. Thanks for introducing Anne to us, Melodie!

    ReplyDelete