Tuesday 1 July 2014

The Funny Side of ROWENA AND THE VIKING WARLORD

It's book 3 of the trilogy - the Danger ramps up...
Vikings are poised to invade Saxon Land's End.
But there is humour, even so.  After all, this is Rowena we're talking about.

Excerpt from ROWENA AND THE VIKING WARLORD



Wish I were a wizard, I muttered to myself.
“What are these fluffy bushes over here?”
“Don’t touch that!” I yelled.
Too late.
“Ouch!” Val yelped and jumped back. “It bites. Nasty thing.”
He raised a hand and ZAP! The plant collapsed into ashes.
I sighed. Then I looked around furtively to make sure nobody saw that.
“Okay, you probably shouldn’t go zapping things here.”
Val was staring down at his hand. “But think of poor Loki! That evil animal could injure our poor companion.”
“That was a plant, actually. A teddy-bear cactus,” I said. “They only look fluffy. Let me look at your hand.”
Yup. Lots of icky thorns.
“Do you want me to pull them out, or can you take care of it?”
He sniffed. “I can do it. But really, Kendra. Plants shouldn’t bite. It’s not natural.” 

AND EARLIER....



There was a whoosh behind me, and then some vulgar cursing.
I spun around.
A man stood on this side of the wall. He was tall, with wide shoulders and massively muscled arms. Red-gold hair streamed down his back. He wore a dark green tunic with leather belt and dagger, but no armor.
He was absolutely magnificent, and I knew him well.
Cedric.
"What the hell?"
He laughed, a throaty, good-natured bellow. "By the gods, what a ride!"
I stared, mouth gaping. Cedric on this side of the wall? In Arizona?
"How did you get here?" I blurted.
"The same way you did. I followed you through the portal."
His head whipped from side to side. One hand was on his dagger hilt. I could see he was assessing the place for danger. Instinct, of course.
Crap. Crapity crap. Cedric was here in Arizona. And Thane was way the hell up north in some blasted field, a whole wide world away.
Thank God there was no one around. How the heck would I ever explain a medieval warrior-knight in my classroom in Scottsdale, Arizona?
Think, Rowena. Think!

ROWENA AND THE VIKING WARLORD coming July 5

No comments:

Post a Comment