Friday 10 January 2014

BOOKS AND THE ART OF THEFT by Bad Girl

Reprinted from THE SAGE, where Bad Girl lurks on a regular basis...because sometimes they even pay her...
(By Melodie Campbell)

Puzzled by the title?  It’s simple.

In high school, I had to read Lord of the Flies, The Chrysalids, On the Beach, To Kill a Mocking Bird, and a whack of Shakespeare.

Yuck.  Way to kill the love of reading.  All sorts of preaching and moral crap in the first four.  (Which, as you will see by the end of this post, doesn’t suit me well.)

Torture, it was, having to read those dreary books, at a time when I was craving excitement.  Already, I had a slight rep for recklessness. (It was the admittedly questionable incident of burying the French class attendance sheet in the woods on Grouse Mountain, but I digress…)

And then we got to pick a ‘classic’ to read.  Groan.  Some savvy librarian took pity on me, and put a book in my hand. 

Ivanhoe.
Magic

A writer was born that day.

This is what books could be like!  Swashbuckling adventure with swords and horses, and imminent danger to yourself and virtue, from which – sometimes – you could not escape (poor Rebecca.) 

I was hooked, man.  And this book was written how long ago?  1820?

Occasionally, people will ask if a teacher had a special influence on me as a writer.  I say, sadly, no to that.

But a librarian did.  To this day, I won’t forget her, and that book, and what it caused me to do.
1
      *  Write the swashbuckling medieval time travel Land’s End series, starting with the Top 100 bestseller Rowena Through the Wall.   
         
      *  Steal a book.  Yes, this humble reader, unable to part with that beloved Ivanhoe, claimed to lose the book, and paid the fine.  Damn the guilt.  The book was mine.

      *  Write The Goddaughter's Revenge, which has nothing to do with swashbuckling medieval adventure, and everything to do with theft.  Which, of course, I had personally experienced due to a book called Ivanhoe.

The lust for something you just have to have.  The willingness to take all sorts of risks way out of proportion, to possess that one thing.

A book like my own Rowena and the Dark Lord made me a thief at the age of sixteen.  And the experience of being a thief enticed me to write The Goddaughter’s Revenge, over thirty years later.

My entire writing career (200 publications, 9 awards) is because of Sir Walter Scott and one sympathetic librarian.  Thanks to you both, wherever you are.

Melodie Campbell writes funny books. You can buy them at Chapters/Indigo, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Walmart and other retailers.  
The one that started it all: ROWENA THROUGH THE WALL  http://tinyurl.com/6p2vhgr
ROWENA AND THE DARK LORD  http://tinyurl.com/c9v82rm
THE GODDAUGHTER’S REVENGE  http://tinyurl.com/kmgjgsf
THE GODDAUGHTER http://ow.ly/dnObH
A PURSE TO DIE FOR  http://amzn.to/PysT2C

ROWENA AND THE DARK LORD is a finalist for the Paranormal Romance Guild Award!
 Voting is open until January 14.  All readers are welcome to vote.
http://www.paranormalromanceguild.com/2013reviewerschoice.htm

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your nominations!!! I went by and gladly gave you my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri, thank you so much! It is an honour to be on that list :)

    ReplyDelete